…is Win’Doek hierso!
Welcome to Doek!‘s submission page. Please read the submission rules and guidelines below before submitting work for consideration using the portal below.
Submissions for Issue 8 (due in March, 2021) will open on 15 November 2021 and close on 01 February 2022.
The following categories of writers, poets, and visual artists may submit their work all year-round:
- Namibian citizens living in the country;
- Namibian citizens, or those of Namibian descent, living in the diaspora (outside Namibia); and
- Foreign nationals who permanently reside in Namibia.
Writers, poets, and visual artists from Africa and the African diaspora are asked not to submit unless they have been specifically requested to do so.
African writers who do not meet the above criteria are encouraged to submit their work to any of the literary magazines curated on The Doek List whenever their respective submission windows open.
Doek! seeks fresh, nuanced, and exciting writing which continuously explores new thematic terrain.
The editorial team considers the following:
- Narrative (plot)-driven short fiction of any genre such as crime, erotica, fantasy, historical, horror, humour, literary, magical realism, mystery, romance, science fiction, or any experimental writing which creatively blurs the margins between such genres;
- Creative nonfiction such as essays, memoirs, or narrative nonfiction;
- Poetry written for the page, not performance; and,
- Visual art from the following disciplines: illustrations, graphic design, and photography.
The editorial team is interested in reading submissions which explore a wide variety of topics and themes in interesting styles. However, prospective writers, poets, and visual artists should note that death, grief, and trauma are topics which have been covered extensively in past issues. Contributors exploring similar topics are encouraged to find new ways of engaging with such subject matter. Submissions which are directed at the white gaze are not encouraged.
SUBMISSION RULES AND GUIDELINES
Writers and poets
- Only original work will be considered. Previously published work (in any medium, including social media or personal blogs) is not accepted.
- Novels or manuscript excerpts, film scripts, plays, journalism, and self-help manuals or texts are not eligible for consideration.
- Submissions must be written in English. Writers and poets may use words or phrases from any of Namibia’s indigenous languages provided their meaning can be understood within the text (without resort to glossaries or footnotes).
- Submissions may not exceed 3500 words. There is no minimum word count.
- Fiction and nonfiction writers can only submit one piece of writing.
- Poets may submit up to three poems in one document.
- Submissions must be typed: Times New Roman, 12 pt, 2.0 line spacing.
- The document should only contain the title and the body text of the submission. No identifying details (name, contact number, or email address) may be used in the filename or be placed anywhere in the submission document.
- Submissions can be sent in any of the following formats: Microsoft Word (.docx and .doc), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and plain text (.txt).
- Writers and poets cannot submit to or be considered for two or more categories at any given point in time. Each writer and poet must submit to one category and wait to be told about the final outcome of their submission before submitting again. Unsuccessful writers and poets can submit to the same category or a different category if their submissions are not accepted for publication.
- Simultaneous submissions (submissions which have been sent to other literary magazines) are permitted and should be retracted when accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Writers and poets who have been published in Doek! must wait one year from the date of their publication before submitting any work (in any category) to the magazine for consideration again.
- Writers and poets must be 18 years of age or older at the time of submitting their writings.
- Only original work will be considered. Previously published work (in any medium, including social media, personal blogs, or exhibitions) is not accepted.
- Visual artists must submit five (5) images from a project in .jpeg or .jpg format for consideration. If accepted for publication, more images will be requested. (A published project typically has 10-15 images.)
- Each image may not be larger than 1.5 MB. Image resolution must be 300dpi. Image width must be exactly 1500px. Height is variable.
- Images must use the submission title as their filename and must be numbered sequentially.
- Images must not have watermarks on them.
- Visual artists must submit a short write-up (or abstract) about the project. The write-up may not be longer than 200 words.
- Write-ups must be typed: Times New Roman, 12 pt, 2.0 line spacing. The document should only contain the title and the body text of the write-up. No identifying details (name, contact number, or email address) may be used in the filename or be placed anywhere in the write-up document.
- Write-ups can be sent in any of the following formats: Microsoft Word (.docx and .doc), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and plain text (.txt).
- Visual artists cannot submit to or be considered for two or more categories at any given point in time. Each visual artist must wait for the final outcome of their submission before submitting again. Unsuccessful visual artists are free to submit other visual arts projects or written work if their submissions are not accepted for publication.
- Visual artists who have been published in Doek! must wait one year from the date of their publication before submitting any work (in any category) to the magazine for consideration again.
- Visual artists must be 18 years of age or older at the time of submission.
The editorial team strives to provide feedback to everyone who submits. This is not always possible. However, whenever time permits, general feedback shall be given to unsuccessful writes, poets, and visual artists.
RIGHTS, PAYMENTS, AND CONTRACTS
Contributors who successfully submit their work and have it published in Doek! are provided with a token remuneration. Contributors who have their work solicited are not remunerated.
Copyrights of published content are held by individual contributors in their personal capacities.
The copyright owner, agrees to license their work(s) to Doek! to exclusively publish online and distribute the work(s) throughout the world for a period of three months from the date of publication. Thereafter, the copyright owner is free to publish the work(s) elsewhere provided they credit Doek! as the publisher-of-first-instance for works later published in anthologies, collections, or volumes.
In the event Doek! republishes the work(s) in a print publication offered for sale a copy of the said publication will be sent to each copyright holder. A separate royalty/one-off payment will be made to each respective copyright holder.
Each contributor is provided with a simple and clear publishing contract which lists and explains their rights and obligations between them and Doek!.
All successfully published submissions from Namibian writers, poets, and visual artists are automatically eligible for the Bank Windhoek Doek Literary Awards.
The submission portal is currently unavailable. Please check back on 01 December 2021.