ELIGIBILITY AND RULES
The following rules govern the second edition of the Bank Windhoek Doek Literary Awards:
- Only Namibian literary artists published in Doek! are eligible for consideration in their respective categories: fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and visual art.
- Successful publication in Doek! is the only entry requirement. Doek!’s submission guidelines and portal are available on its Submission’s page.
- All Namibian writers, poets, and visual artists published in the selected issues are eligible for consideration for the Bank Windhoek Doek Literary Awards in 2023:
- Issue 7: Soon/Come (November, 2021)
- Issue 8: Komesho (May, 2022)
- Issue 9: Vasbyt (September, 2022)
- Issue 10: The Struggle (May, 2023)
- Issue 11: The Stillness (September, 2023)
- Fiction, nonfiction, and visual arts: only one entry is permitted per writer or visual artist. Contributors with more than one publication in Doek! will be requested to choose one of their works for the judges’ consideration.
- Poetry: poets are permitted to choose a maximum of three (3) poems which will be considered as one entry.
- A literary artist who has been published in more than one category is only be eligible for consideration in one category of their choice. The applicable entry selection requirements shall apply thereafter.
- Commissioned illustrators are eligible for consideration in the visual arts category. Their respective commissions are assessed as one entry.
- A longlist of eligible literary artists under consideration will be published.
- A shortlist of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and visual art entries shall be produced by the judges. Each category can have a maximum of three (3) entries.
- The judges’ decisions are final and not subject to appeal.
- In the event a Doek! contributor is appointed as a judge, their publications will ineligible for consideration in that year’s prize cycle.
- Previous winners of the Bank Windhoek Doek Literary Awards are not eligible for consideration.
- Doek’s patron, trustees, and Doek! Literary Magazine’s editors are not eligible for consideration regardless of their publication in the magazine.